Malta is the largest of the three major islands that constitute the Maltese archipelago. It is sometimes referred to as Valletta for statistical purposes to distinguish the main island from the entire country. Malta is in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea directly south of Italy and north of Libya.
Country ProfileOfficial Name : Repubblika ta' Malta
Largest City : Birkirkara
Time Zone : CET (UTC+1)
Official Languages : Maltese and English
Area : 316 sq. km.
Population : 446,547
Ethnic Groups : Predominantly white
Government : Parliamentary Republic
Religion : Roman Catholicism
Exchange Rate : US$ 1.00 = 0.90 EUR(as of August 2015)
Location: : South of Sicily, Mediterranean Sea
Introduced at the beginning of 2014, the Malta Individual Investor Programme (IIP) offers high and ultra-high net worth individuals and families worldwide citizenship in a highly respected EU Member Country.
Foreign individuals and families who are entitled to full citizenship in Malta under the Individual Investor Program (“IIP”) are as follows:
- Duly qualified in terms of the Maltese Citizenship Act. Cap 188
- Individual Investor Program of the Republic of Malta Regulations, 2014 (“the regulations”)
- Contributed to the economic development of Malta
Enjoy full citizenship for life, which can be passed on to future generations by descent!!
Right to live, work, study in any of the 28 EU countries, Norway, Iceland, Switzerland & Liechtenstein!
- Visa-free access to over 160 countries including EU, USA and Canada
- Fast track residence cards within 1-3 weeks with Schengen mobility for 18 months
- Recognizes dual citizenship
- No language tests
- No citizenship tests
- Ability to set up business in Malta
- English-speaking environment, high standard of living
- Very low income tax, no capital gains tax, no inheritance tax
- Ideal location in the centre of the Mediterranean
- Family eligibility includes parents of main applicant and spouse, minor children, unmarried dependent adult children
- Descendants automatically entitled to citizenship thereafter
Time Frame and Fees:
Processing Time for Individual Investor Programme (IIP)
- Minimum period of 6 to 8 months and a maximum period of 24 months, however majority of cases takes 12 months
- Within seven days from receipt of the application, the Concessionaire or the Accredited Agent will be notified of the completeness of the application
Letter of Approval in Principle
- Due diligence is conducted and once application is accepted, this letter will be issued to the applicant within 120 days
Citizenship is granted to suitable individuals and families who hold resident status in Malta for a period of twelve months immediately preceding the day of issuing of the certificate of naturalization , who qualify under the very strict due diligence regime, contributed to the economic development of Malta and provided proof of title of residential property in Malta. Hence, the following procedures are required :
1. Financial Contribution
The following minimum contributions must be made within four months of being issued a Malta IIP Letter of Approval in Principle:
- Main applicant - EUR 650,000 (contribution to National Development and Social Fund)
- Spouse - EUR 25,000
- Minor children - EUR 25,000 each
- Children 18-26 (unmarried) - EUR 50,000 each
- Dependent parents & grandparents - EUR 50,000 each
- Adult children (physically or mentally challenged) - EUR 50,000 each
2. Pay Due Diligence fees as follows:
- Principal applicant - EUR 7,500
- Spouse - EUR 5,000
- Minor dependents (aged 0-12) - no fee
- Minor dependents (aged 13-17) - EUR 3,000 each
- Adult dependents - EUR 5,000 each
3. Real Estate Purchase or Rental
The applicant must commit to retain a residence in Malta for a period of at least 5 years either any of the two options as follows:
- 1. Buying a property in Malta for at least EUR 350,000 and maintaining ownership for 5+ years
- 2. Leasing a property for 5 years or more with a minimum annual rent of EUR 16,000
Upon purchasing real estate or entering a property lease in Malta, investor citizenship candidates are issued a Malta identity document called an eResidence card.
4. Bonds Investment
Upon approval, an applicant and accompanying family may opt to invest in Malta government bonds. The bond amount will vary depending on the size of the family as follows:
- Applicants are required to invest at least EUR 150,000 in a government approved financial instruments (bonds, stocks, and debentures that benefit the nation)
- Must commit to keeping the investment for at least five years
- A minimum period of 12 months or over
- The main applicant is required to give proof of residence in Malta based on Legal Notice LN47/2014 prior to taking the oath of allegiance
- Validity of Maltese citizenship is Permanent
- Upon receipt of the Certificate of Naturalization, Real21 LLC will assist the applicant with the passport application process by providing a complete application form for a European Union Malta passport.
- Main Applicants is mandated to apply for an E-Residency Card. This card will entitle the applicant to establish residence status in Malta and to travel freely within the Schengen Area. Dependents can also apply for this card.
- Main Applicants and their dependents have to visit Malta to apply for their E-Residence Cards as they need to submit their biometric data.
E-Residence Card Fees:
- The Main Applicant pays EUR 5,000 on account from the EUR 10,000 non-refundable deposit stipulated in the schedule of fees for the IIP.
- Each dependent pays an administration charge of EUR 1,000 which is an administrative fee over and above the fees stipulated for dependents in the IIP schedule of fees.